Waiting for the pregnancy test result is often described as the most stressful time. It doesn’t matter whether or not you used medications or had fertility treatments such as intrauterine insemination or IVF. It is normal to feel anxious, emotional, negative, excited, worried, stressed at this time. You may be looking for positive and negative signs of pregnancy.
Signs of pregnancy such as tiredness, bloating, breast tenderness, nausea may also be caused by medications such as progesterone. Some women report their symptoms disappear and some have no symptoms at all. Many women feel that the twinges and cramps that they experience may prevent or disrupt implantation of the embryo.
Spotting is common but if this occurs you can still be pregnant. It is important to inform the clinic if you have any concerns. You may be tempted to use a home pregnancy test kit but this can give you a false positive result if the test is done too soon after the HCG injection. You may get a false negative result if the pregnancy kit is not of high quality.
The most accurate test is the blood pregnancy test.
Things to do
- Continue all your medications as prescribed by the fertility doctor
- Continue prenatal vitamins including folic acid
- Take Paracetamol if needed. It is safe to take in pregnancy
- Eat a healthy diet and keep hydrated
- Exercise gently such as walking and yoga
- Rest and read a good book
Not to do
- Avoid smoking or being around people smoking.
- Avoid alcohol
- Reduce caffeine intake to 2 or 3 cups a day. Caffeine is in tea, coffee, chocolate,fizzy and energy drinks
- Do not take any over the counter medications without first checking with your doctor or pharmacist
- Avoid hot tubs, saunas, swimming, high impact exercises. They may increase your body temperature or, increase risk of developing a pelvic infection.